Saturday, April 16, 2011

Geffrye Museum and Brick Lane

Unfortunately, I have not been feeling very well for the last two days, so Ceci has been somewhat on her own.  But today I got out and we walked around my neighborhood of Shoreditch and Hoxton.  Hoxton has a Saturday market but it is not that impressive. Essentially, it was Hoxton Street with a few market stalls.
We went from there to the Geffrye Museum on Kingsland Rd.
With a statue of the man himself, Sir Rob. Geffryes, Knight, Alderman and Ironmonger...and founder of the precursor of the museum in these buildings, an almshouse for the elderly.
Now it houses a history of the living rooms of England, showing interiors from the 1600s, through the 1700s and 1800s


and the 20th Century.
And, of course, it has a nice garden, with a few graves....
And a time capsule that was just buried last month.
This is possibly the biggest peony I have ever seen.
From the museum, we took the overground ( as opposed to the underground)
back to Spitalfields Market and had a nice lunch.  Walking home, we went down Brick Lane, which is really hopping on Saturday, with antiques shops, bars, vintage clothing stores and great looking food.



This sign was a bit disconcerting......
But with this beer garden near by, I guess some people have to be reminded.
And have I mentioned the English's love of salty meat?

On the way back, we spotted this old house, which I think looks kind of lonely on the corner by itself.
Ceci leaves early tomorrow and I will be on my own for the next couple of days.

No comments: