Monday, March 14, 2011

Courtauld Museum and Stuff

I wanted to sleep late today but my body said 6:30AM was just fine, so I got up and decided to go to the Courtauld Museum in the Somerset House. This was a personal collection of Samuel (I believe) Courtauld, which is just astonishing when you realize what famous paintings are part of it. There are Renoirs like these:


Manets, though this one, I understand, was actually a copy by the painter himself of a larger work. It was quite shocking at the time and I think still is to a certain extent. Why is she naked and the men completely dressed?There are Van Goghs like this very famous one of the artist after he had mangled his ear following an argument with Gauguin.
And this one by a painter I cannot remember, but I know I have seen pictures of it many times.
When I got to the museum, it said that renovations would start March 14, today, and last until June 15. I think most of the paintings are still available to be seen, but I'm not sure. It's hard to believe one persons could have more of the world's treasures. (The Impressionists appear to be all once owned by Courtauld, but some of the other paintings were part of other personal collections donated to the museum.) I had tea and a scone in this very lovely cafe in the museum. As you can see, the sun was shining and it was very pleasant.
Things are definitely beginning to bloom around here. This cafe took it a bit far with the flora; it's right near Charing Cross station.
This lovely garden was near the Thames close to the Temple station, if I remember correctly.

After visiting the museum I walked to Fortnam & Mason, one of my favorite stores in the world. The salesmen there wear morning coats, at least on the first floor, and the china, glass, candles, and even food are to die for. Plus it has a wonderful clock over the door on Piccadilly that chimes every 15 minutes and even puts on a show at the hour.
Random thoughts:

There are a number of people who beg on a regular basis at the exit of Old Street Station. I don't mind them, but I do think that if you are going to ask for money, you should do something to deserve it--at least look sad. These guys just sit there and smile at you. Some don't even have dirty hair. Come on guys, let me know you need the money!

I have come to the conclusion that either I am stressed out, really tired or in the early stages (I hope) of Alzheimer's. On Thursday I was twenty minutes late meeting Will at the British Museum because I read a digital clock wrong. I had to quick jump off the tube this morning as I almost missed my stop. There have been other instances as well, but I can't remember them right now. See what I mean?

I keep coming up with US money in my pocket. Since I made sure that I had no coins before I came, there is only one explanation. Stores are giving US coins as part of change. They are doing this because pennies and dimes look like their equivalents here but are worth about two thirds as much. I hate the idea that I am going to have to watch the change I get, especially since I am already very insecure about the money. On the other hand, it will be kind of fun to catch someone switching the currency.


2 comments:

Lynne Lacey Appraisal Associates said...

Hi Alice,

Well, I'm technologically challenged today. I wrote a long post about the Cranach Adam & Eve and the Manet which is the earlier smaller version--other(really big)is in the D'Orsay. Long story short--Cranach (Lucas the Elder) about 1500's no signature but he used a serpent monogram located somewhere in the tree. The naked women in Manet scandalized not through nakedness but woman in foreground looks directly at viewer and is painted sort of dirty with dark outline--man on right is wearing trendy foppish French clothing of the period (it would be like rapper outfit)and the French Salon did not find it amusing. Manet was a very disliked man and this is his greatest painting bc he used traditional settings, perspective and subjects and painted them in a new way which infuriated the Salon. I would like to see this museum if time allows. We stayed near the Sherlock Holmes Pub and had dinner there one evening on the second floor. They have a scene set up in the dining area. Looks like you are having a great time. Hope two posts with the same info don't show up but if they do--Oh well. What is the temp there--it looks like wonderful weather. Keep blogging.

Unknown said...

I found a quarter in my pocket too. Passed off as a 50 pence piece I guess. Not cool, Brits...so NOT cool.